Proverbs 1



“For they are simpletons who turn away from me to death. They are fools, and their own complacency will destroy them.”
Proverbs 1:32

Don’t quit moving!!!

I’ve started working out and helping the Crossville Soccer team. It’s been great. I’ve always loved the weight room and coaching is one of the funnest things I’ve ever done. First day in I told all the guys we have three rules.  

Rule 1: We never give up.
Rule 2: Encourage your teammate.
Rule 3: Always get better.

These are great rules in the weight room, but if I’m honest they’re great rules for life in Christ as well. It’s incredible that Solomon writes "their own complacency will destroy them." Wisdom was trying to get their attention but they were just comfortable to let things keep going the same way and not pay attention to the things that really needed to change. That is so me some days, both toward wisdom and toward God!

I would like to act as if my pursuit of intimacy and knowledge of God was a great epic battle in which I’m relentlessly fighting my way to the heart of God. But some days it feels like I’m trying to talk myself out from behind the rock or I’m swinging my sword wildly just hoping that I’m contributing in some form or fashion.  

As we start out my strain of November devotionals I wish I had some huge revelation in how to not get complacent with God. I wish I had a magic wand that would make you the never stopping warrior for his cause. But honestly I just have a rule I use in weightlifting.

We never give up.

Doesn’t mean we won’t stop, fall, cry, scrape our knee, fail, stumble, topple, blow up, combust, or whatever other tragic word you might imagine, but we humbly continue the pursuit. We don’t give up. Complacency wraps us up in our failures and fears and tries to make us feel warm by the dying embers of our own success. But we who have believed have a better way, a path that is uncertain but when walked upon leads us closer to God. Paul tells us we were created by God for good works that he laid out for us and that we have to walk in those good works. Sometimes we just have to take one more step closer to the one who created us.

Your brother, Q  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving sight to the blind

Why we put December in a low income school.

17 Challenge Update