Climbing Trees

I remember as a kid how much fun it was to climb trees.  And I think the fun of was that a tree could become anything.  Many days me and my brother, Wade, would turn trees in the pasture into pirate ships, castles, or forts.  It was great.  I think in life God is still giving us trees to climb.  Our new trees are opportunities. 

We see these amazing opportunities to share the Gospel with the world around us.  The opportunities present themselves in so many different ways.  Neighbors in need, friends who are struggling, starving people groups, unclean water, students without breakfast, growing poverty, absent fathers, struggling couples, the homeless, the marginalized, the lonely, and the lost.  The trees are everywhere, yet for some reason we choose not to climb them.  So I ask myself, "why don't I climb actual trees anymore?"

Two reasons.
First, I don't feel like I have the right tools to climb.  My body type is not a good match for scaling trees not to I have the knowledge that would make me well equipped.
The answer to this doubt comes in scripture.  Ephesians chapter 2 verse 10 says, "For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."  Wow.  He made the trees for me to climb.  Jesus says on the sermon on the mount that we should do our good works so that men who see them will give glory to God.

The second reason, and perhaps stronger of the two, is fear.  What if I fail?  God brought light to this through my daughter December.  She is five and when we moved to our newest home she started climbing the trees in the back yard.  Every now and then she will scream for me to come outside.  And I find her stuck in a tree.  In essence, she has failed.  But I, as her father, reach my arms up and grab her or tell her where to take her next step.  Encouragement and pride come out of my mouth like a river.  Why?  I don't want her to give up.  I want her to keep climbing. 

When we struggling through the opportunities that we have decided to own our Father embraces us and guides us and encourages us. 

My deepest times with God come in the struggle, in the climb.  I see people all the time who are sitting around trying to figure out why God has not told them what to do.  Instead of waiting for lighting from heaven when a situation moves you, own it.  Start climbing.  God is there too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving sight to the blind

Why we put December in a low income school.

17 Challenge Update